With the tank level wall almost finished, it is time we started on moving our 27,000 litre poly water tank.
It has been on a 14 degree ‘lean’ since we got here, and we have a nice new level pad to put the tank on. But first we have to free it from the bank it sits against. 20+ years of erosion and weather have locked it in a bed of clay.
When we purchased Arborlon 18 mths or so ago, one of the existing problems we knew about was the footings that supported the SW corner of the house. They were in bad shape and needed repairing/replacing. So much so that there is a 50mm drop in the floor of our lounge room from one side to the other.
Unfortunately we needed to support other elements of the hill the house is built on, before we could get to actually permanently fixing the damaged and broken footings.
After lots and lots and lots of planning we are ready to start digging, and concreting, the footings for the Fire Deck.
One of our major issues at Arborlon is Erosion. Running or flowing water has caused significant erosion in most gullies across our property and severely affected the house hill. Now that the South path Wall is finished we can continue to add some more elements of our water control plan.
One of those is the use of Whoa-boys. Don’t know what a Whoa-boy is… neither did we. At least not by that name.
With excavation and planning done.. it is time to start the bottom steps. This is a big job and will be part of a bigger job – The Tank Level Wall – as well as being a huge step forward for us in regards to navigating the levels surrounding the house.
This is our second lot of earth steps, and the job is made a little more complicated by the fact that the steps have to fit into other structures.
We started the bottom steps – from Plot Level to Fire Pit level – a few weeks ago now… but the excavation has been hard and slow going at times. Our soil has been stripped of organic matter, and has the consistency of rock in places. br> br>Excavating the area where the steps will be placed is one of those areas.
The Fire Deck we have been planning will be really special once it is done and finished and one of the reasons why is that it will almost encircle one of our multiple stem Grass Trees on the Tank(Fire Deck) level.
Today we started making the new solar racks for our existing(new) system. These racks will replace the current racking system – an off the shelf – flat racking system.
The new solar racks will be based on the racks used for our existing(old) solar system. These are hand-made, custom built, adjustable racks that fit nicely on a flat or sloping roof.
Since we first started thinking about putting in the Fire Deck I have been planning how to go about it. Recently I have been doing a lot of Maths and calculations to try and make the idea a reality.