One morning you wake up and your prized Brachychiton sp.(Flame Tree/Bottle Tree/Kurrajong) looks like it has been attacked by very tiny bondage experts!
Tiny white ropes have tied up all the stems sand branches, and the leaves are gathered in tiny bundles and bound.
Managing the water that flows over the property in big rain events is an ongoing job. Today we ‘finished’ the first South path rock drain and it’s downhill flow area.
After clearing and widening the Dragonfuit level with the excavator we needed to plant out the new bank we had created at the eastern end of the level.
The bank was made with excess mountain soil from the excavation.
Just below the backyard and down towards the Orchard are a number of large Palm Trees. We have not identified the exact species, but we believe they are not native palms. Specifically not ‘native’ to this area.
Our overriding aim is to remove as many as the exotic and non-indigenous plants.
One plan we have had almost since we arrived two years ago, is to plant the “North Face”.
The “North Face” is the steep open slope that falls away quickly in front of the deck. It is open and very steep and really needs some trees replaced.
Heavy rain continued to fall through Thursday morning and we could hear and see water pouring down the mountain in lots of places.
We knew there would be more ‘damage’ to the road, and possibly to areas of our property too… so ventured out again when the rain eased.
We had good rain through the beginning of March, and in fact quite a bit more than average. By the end of the month we had had around 200mm, which is more than twice the monthly average.
This wasn’t all bad, as we had just moved our main water tank, and needed good rain to fill it.
What we have discovered over a short period of time is that the road plays a big part in water delivery and flow over our property.
So we do ‘work’ on various bits of Lamington National Park Rd which runs above Arborlon.