Thanks to our friendly Rangers at Lamington National Park we have access to a hug amount of aged Forest Mulch. This is one of the major resources that we need for much of the work we do.
This has allowed us to continue extending the South Park path.
The rain we have received over the last few days has filled the big house water tank.
So I got to see the water tank overflow diffuser that we made in action.
We have paths that we have cut through South park and the Orchard, but they are incomplete and the paths are not connected.
So today we set about completing and connecting a number of bit of path.
We returned home today from our trip to Sydney and were met with scenes of devastation.
The combination of extremely high temperatures and a severe lack of summer rain has taken a massive toll on our vege plots and gardens, and across the property.
With almost 30 mm of rain in the last 24 hours, our top tanks are overflowing.
This was the first test of the new top water tank overflow system we set up recently.
Managing the water that flows over the property in big rain events is an ongoing job. Today we ‘finished’ the first South path rock drain and it’s downhill flow area.
We have had some delays in the last few months that have stopped us completing the last of the wall that runs behind our main tank and along the western side of the hill.
But it was time we got stuck into it again and got it finished.
As part of our ongoing water security measures we had new water tanks installed at the shed-level last year.
5 x 2000 litre modular tanks were installed on the southern side of the shed. One of the only pieces of ‘flat land’ we own.
With the tank level wall almost finished, it is time we started on moving our 27,000 litre poly water tank.
It has been on a 14 degree ‘lean’ since we got here, and we have a nice new level pad to put the tank on. But first we have to free it from the bank it sits against. 20+ years of erosion and weather have locked it in a bed of clay.